Pages

Wednesday, January 24, 2007

Life in Boston

I have officially begun my program... but I am only in Boston. Surprisingly, even in Boston, I feel excited, overwhelmed, shocked, and empowered. We are beginning the program by a little bit of orienting with the students, introductions to each of the classes (health and culture, health and globalization, stuff of life, and reasearch methods), tons of guest lectures, and studying health care in boston itself. It is awesome in both the amount of opportunities we are having and the amount of energy it takes to get through a day. We are staying at the international youth hostel.
Each morning we walk a half hour to the bu medical building where we are taking our classes and hearing lectures beginning at 8:45. With a few breaks we go straight from 9-5ish. My brain feels like it is going to explode, and it is just the beginning. By the time I get back to the hostel I am exhausted, but that is when the bonding time, and homework time (yes we have homework (for 4 classes), 4 classes at a time is different than the block plan) happens. Despite the absolutely full feeling I am having, I am very positive. The three professors represent unique backgrounds that when combined give a very comprehensive look at world health problems. I am certain that this program will be a guiding light in my life as I figure out what the hell I am going to do. On thursday we visit community health centers around Boston; it will be nice to do something active after all the lectures we have had. So that is just the quick overview, and I'm sure it will only get more crazy, exciting, interesting, depressing, hard, exhilirating as I go.

No comments: