Pages

Thursday, May 10, 2012

Thank You, Mr. President

I was recently forwarded this thank-you card template from the National Gay and Lesbian Task Force urging me to thank the president for his words of support for gay marriage. I did just that.


Their form letter begins:
Congratulations, Mr. President, for making history today by becoming the first sitting president to explicitly support marriage for same-sex couples. Millions of families now know that their country’s leader believes in fairness for all.

We celebrate this moment and also remember that the right of loving, committed couples to get married is just one of many issues affecting lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender people. It is heartening to know the president stands with our families in the pursuit of full equality, economic security and justice.

I am an Ohio voter. People talk about how this could hurt you in Ohio. There are plenty of Ohioans like myself who applaud your position and will use it as fuel in our efforts to ensure your re-election. I am twenty-six years old. I am the daughter of a civil rights attorney who fought in 1993 to strike down a Cincinnati charter amendment that essentially legalized discrimination against homosexual employees. He lost. Cincinnati only recently overturned it. I really hope that when my kids are growing up, this issue has been put to bed for good. I really hope that no matter what sexual orientation my kids have, they know that the leaders and the policies of this country support them in their love, career, and educational aspirations. While your announcement does not end the fight for this vision, it does help me sleep better at night.

One of my best friends in the world is a gay man who is in a committed relationship. The two of them have taught me much more about love and commitment than most of my heterosexual friends. While they have yet to announce marriage plans, I am ready to stand by their sides someday if they decide to say I do. Their love is not a political statement. It is just love. While your statement has been called "playing politics" by the right. I understand it as a call to say what is the truth and if that is political, I'm fine with that.

In our world where war, inequality, loud-mouthed-one-sided-close-minded disagreement seem to be the norm, it is nice to take a moment to affirm that all love is equal. And, lord knows, this world needs all the love it can get.

Sincerely,

Jessica Gingold

No comments: