Pages

Friday, January 27, 2012

Estoy Aqui!

Somehow while I was preparing for this trip, two things slipped my mind. The first is that I am allergic to black beans and black beans would be virtually everywhere in Oaxaca. The second is that my Spanish is terrible and everyone would be speaking Spanish.

With regards to the first, I decided to do a test run in Chicago last weekend. I know how I work. I knew that upon arriving, I would look at the delicious beans and decide that I probably wasn't really allergic anymore and go to town on them. So, I went to Xoco last saturday night and ordered a sandwich slathered with black beans. In my defense I did not know it would come with black bean slather, but confronted with the option, I decided to risk it. I enjoyed half the sandwich immensely, and took off the bean covered bread for the second half. As I left the restaurant, I began to feel itchy. As I waited for the bus, I started to cough. As I rode back to my friend's apartment, my eyes were burning. Two benadryl later, I was done for the night. So... I guess I am still allergic. Thus, I have been practicing how to say "soy allergica al frijoles negros" over and over again in my head. I don't even think that is the right way to say it. But, here I am at a cafe, and I was able to order the Oaxacan specialty sin frijoles negros with ease. So, I am going to be just fine.

The Spanish one is a bit harder. I have traveled in plenty of places where I don't speak the language, but it has been a while and it is rare that I am mostly alone while doing so. In the last 24 hours I have had to accept the reality that I seem like a total idiot to most people I meet. Today, I purchased a Mexican cell phone and I had about 4 employees trying to explain the phone to me. Luckily, we all laughed at how little I was understanding and made it through. I am researching Spanish schools and plan to start a school on Monday. Also, I am staying with my friend Nikki. She is fluent and fully connected to Oaxaca. So, I am not totally alone. I really could not be happier to be here with all the travelers discomfort in tow. Thankfully, I have two months to explore and digest the food, the language, the culture, and the beauty.


1 comment:

Unknown said...

The language will come back. I'm so happy you're off on a new adventure!

Fi sanatoasa!