Pages

Monday, October 3, 2011

Day 1: Madison to Barneveld

"How was the ride?" asked the guy at the bar who had clearly been there for more hours than we had been riding and had not seen us on our bike.

"How did you know?" I asked.

"You have the look. That refreshed look." He responded.

Maybe he is right, though I have to admit that after only 35 miles today, I embarrassingly feel far from refreshed. Granted, I began the day with sore muscles. It could have been the return to ice skating I embarked on Wednesday night or the pickup kickball game I threw together to celebrate the completion of the LSAT or the insane number of hours I have spent sitting and studying. Regardless, I was sore. And 35 miles later I am still sore.

But, the soreness is not the overarching feeling inside of me. Neither is the pool of fat from the meal at the only restaurant to be found in Barneveld, WI (Half a fried chicken, iceberg lettuce with cheddar cheese, steak fries, and a cheese curd appetizer). No, the feeling that is triumphant is gratitude.

This is my fourth multi-day ride. The third one on the back of my dad's tandem bicycle. I know that most people consider this type of adventure to be insane and hardly a vacation. While I (more specifically, my body) can understand that perspective, this is my bliss. On every trip, I understand my dad more, I gain clearer perspective on my life and my goals, I eat a whole lot of crap, I drink good beer, I experience parts of this country that most urban dwellers never set eyes on, I meet an old person who enjoys life to the fullest, and I am inspired.

The plan for tomorrow is to ride 80 miles and go see Taliesin on our way to the Mississippi River. Hopefully, I will retain that refreshed look as we explore what Wisconsin has to offer.

Click here to see the progress so far.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I love that you're doing another ride with your dad, and I really love that you're doing Taliesin. Next year on the Iron Curtain?