Pages

Tuesday, September 7, 2010

Back in the saddle

On Thursday night I was in Boston reuniting with my good friend Ari. On Saturday night we were in New York City where we giggled/cried/therapized late into the night. Sunday night I was in Cincinnati "ooing" and "ahing" at what is quite possibly the best fireworks show in the world (an unbiased opinion of course). Three cities, spending time with loved ones does not necessarily add up to sleep. Having agreed to a five day bike trip from Cincinnati to Chicago starting Monday, I was looking for a way to delay.

On Sunday evening, I sheepishly mumbled to my brother Ben (who would be joining us for just day 1), "maybe you and I could just hang out in Cincy on Monday, and Dad and I can leave for our ride Tuesday..."

"Aha, dad said he was worried that you might say you would be too tired. We aren't going to have it. We leave tomorrow," Ben replied.

I had made my bed. I had to lie in it. Or ride in it.

So, Monday morning came, and at 6:45am, I was rubbing my eyes, pulling up my spandex and getting ready to ride. We drank coffee, lots of it. We ate eggs, fresh from Kathy's farm. We packed up the bikes and we left our home. No loading bikes into cars or planes. This trip is a door to door ride. My parents' home to mine.

We set off. Dad and daughter reunited on the tandem bicycle that had previously carried us from Mobile, AL to Cincinnati, OH. Big brother riding solo. Never mind that tickle in my throat. Richmond, Indiana was calling for us. The ride was beautiful and serene. Apparently, not many people leave their homes on Labor day, making the roads clear. The weather was ideal. We barely broke a sweat. We rolled into Richmond around 2pm with 62 miles accomplished. A short day for us, but it was day 1.

After eating a gluttonous Italian linner (where the lunch portions could feed two), Ben left us and I died. The four days of flux had truly caught up with me. Stuffed up, feverish, lethargic, I laid down in my bed and breakfast bed (dad was scared of bed bugs, so we splurged) and slept from 4:30-7:30. I awoke and filled myself with drugs, we perused the maps for a good hour, and I was back asleep.

This morning I had the expected crusty nose and itchy eyes, but the worst had certainly passed. And so we rolled on... 80 miles to Marion, IN. Today was truly a treat. We spent the majority of the day on the Cardinal Greenways, soon to be the longest bike path in Indiana. Parts of the path we were treading were freshly paved, making it seem as if we were the inaugural riders. The path is beautiful. The tree-lining protected us from the terrible winds we encountered briefly as we rode between Gaston and Jonesboro. We expect a duel with the winds tomorrow. We found our rhythm on the bike, we began listening to the ever-so-popular Girl with the Dragon Tatoo, and we talked to strangers (or at least my dad did).

Now, we are settled into the Comfort Suites. We considered the Economy Motel across the street, but when I called the Comfort Suites man, he warned me that the Economy Motel was "basically a crack house." Obviously the source is tainted since he was talking about his competition, but my dad and I decided not to risk it. We made a night of Marion's offerings taking in the local steakhouse and the 5 dollar movies. I am thankful for this bed and my dad's heavy breathing in the bed next to me, but I am also thankful to be moving on across the state. There is something to biking through less than compelling towns--it keeps you moving.

On we go. Man, it feels good to be back in the saddle.

4 comments:

Nora said...

Glad you're blogging again...I'm eager to keep up with your Chi-town and other adventures. Miss you!

Unknown said...

Glad you posted Jess, and I'm glad it was about biking too! Wish I were on that tandem with you, although I wouldn't want to grudge your dad his father daughter time either...

Unknown said...

Hmmm your writing only makes me fall deeper in love with you....living vicariously through you for the next couple days...

Meredith said...

Maybe you gave me my cold! Enjoy the ride and keep blogging.