Pages

Saturday, February 11, 2012

Week One in Photos

I know it has been said that a picture is worth a thousand words. Photos take a long time to upload here in Mexico. So, I am not sharing my experience very visually. I am trying little by little to upload some of the best. These are photos from my first week in Mexico in Oaxaca.

I arrived on January 26 to the city of Oaxaca. On the 27th, I started to explore. 

The first thing I was struck by was the art everywhere.

No caption necessary.


Art installation by a Mexican artist showing the emmigration of people from his village

Mural in Nikki's backyard

Mural in front of Nikki's apartment
Next it was the architecture and history of the streets

Typical street in Oaxaca
Above windows on my walk to Spanish school

Museum de Santo Domingo

The music and dance poured out onto the streets.
San Jarocho

Traditional dance from a surrounding community
And of course the food, which will be getting its own post one of these days...

Tlayudas and guacamole



Homemade salsa
Homemade breakfast

I only started to scratch the surface of day trips possible from Oaxaca.

Arbol de Tule- possibly the world's oldest tree


Maybe I need to get this car, so I can take more day trips to explore the surrounding mountains.

My fantasy

Receding sun over Oaxaca

I am at the beach now. I just finished a week in Mazunte, and am settling into Zipolite. The coast is teaching me so much, but I do look forward to exploring the city more when my ears get too full of sand to receive more lessons from the waves.

No comments: