Pages

Friday, February 17, 2012

Week 2 in Photos, Mazunte

First I went to Mazunte...
My suburban companions from Oaxaca to the coast.
Then I went to the meditation retreat. Then I escaped and went to Balamjuyuc where I watched the sunrise. I vowed to watch it everyday, but only got up for two.

The sunrise from Balamjuyuc Cabanas
I had Nikki with me for 36 hours, and together we made the most of Mazunte...

Nikki enjoying breakfast on the beach
Mazunte, and much of the coast, used to have an economy largely based on the selling of turtle gear and meat. The government cracked down on that practice, so now the towns have taken on eco-tourism projects galore. In Mazunte there is a turtle center that helps educate the public on turtles and preserve endangered species. I happen to have a collection of over 100 turtle figurines from my childhood, so I felt right at home.


Below was my first beach beer after the retreat. There is beauty in not drinking and cleansing your body of all things toxic. There is also beauty in the moment when you drink a cold Mexican beer and watch the waves roll in.

Michelada (beer, chile and lime) on the beach
In Mazunte, there are beautiful beaches that may not be the safest for swimming, but are basically empty and offer great photo ops. I took to spending my sunsets on these beaches.





But I enjoyed my first sunset in Mazunte at Punta Cometa, the place where most of the town congregates to salute the sol.


While in Mazunte, I also took to saluting the moon, which hovered around full moon status for most of my stay.


I liked to salute the moon from the front yard of my first beach house.


Sometimes when I got sick of being on top of the hill, I would walk down and watch people on the beach. 


And at the end of everyday, I made sure to watch the sunset.


No comments: